Moriah Jerusalem Development Company Ltd. manages, plans and performs infrastructure and construction projects in Israel’s capital. The company is the performance arm of Jerusalem Municipality and the Ministry of Transport, promoting and implementing transport infrastructure and constructing central public buildings. Moriah acts as the performance arm of Israel Land Authority in developing new neighborhoods and of the Jerusalem Development Authority. Its subsidiary, Eden, in promoting projects in urban centers. Moriah is an economic company, carrying out economic projects of the Municipality of Jerusalem for the residents’ welfare.
In these projects, Moriah implements its capabilities to consolidate profitable business plans and provide external financing when required.
Business and managing vision
Moriah’s business strategy relies on achieving ambitious business objectives, regularly set by subject and obtaining long term profitability for its shareholders. Its vision is to be a leading and sustainable entity, promoting the planning and performance of complex infrastructure projects.
In recent years, Moriah underwent a managerial revolution, which included strategic transformation, organizational changes and the formation of a leading team. These steps created the business infrastructure for sharp increase in activity’s scope, from NIS 104 million in 2009 to NIS 720 million in 2014, a 7 times growth in operations. The forecast for 2015 is over NIS 700 million. At present, the company is facing a challenge to maintain its typical start up culture, while adopting the business approach of a giant corporation, with an activity scope of over NIS 500 million.
Broad Range of Projects
Moriah is widely control-oriented. Nowadays it manages over 150 projects simultaneously, for a total budget of over NIS 7 billion.
Moriah’s main projects include:
• City Entrance Project (Shazar): In early 2015, works started in order to adapt the Western entrance to the city to its future needs, including the construction of an underground parking lot for the passengers of Israel Railway and a tunnel for car traffic above it and arrangement and development of existing streets, mainly Shazar St. The project will also include the construction and development of new streets and preparation of the infrastructure for additional light rail lines. It will enable to market 780,000 sq.m. to the developers, of which 260,000 sq.m. will be inside the International Convention Center for commercial, tourism and employment needs. The budget scope of this project is evaluated at over NIS 1.4 billion and is expected to end during 2020.
• Begin Highway South: The Begin Highway is the main traffic road of Jerusalem, connecting the northern entrances of the city to the south. These days, extensive works are being performed mainly to extend Begin Highway to Gilo neighborhood in the south. The project’s budget is estimated at over NIS 1 billion and it is expected to be completed in 2016. The first section of the road was openned for traffic during 2014 and the second one during the first quarter of 2015.
• Construction of extension infrastructure and additional lines for the Jerusalem Light Rail: In the next few years additional lines will be added to the highly successful existing line. Extensive works are being performed in order to expand the existing line to the north and the south as well as adding new lines. The budget for this project is estimated at NIS hundreds of millions.
• Urban Renewal Administration: The administration was established in cooperation with the Jerusalem Municipality in order to promote projects such as Evacuation and Building and the National Outline Plan. Its purposes are to increase the housing units offer in Jerusalem, renew the neighborhoods, and enhance the buildings’ safety and resistance. The administration’s target is to add 4,000 housing units to the city during the next 5 years and therefore it fully operates to provide accessibility to the information for the residents, consolidate assistance procedures and promote cooperation with community administrations as well as locating potential compounds and acting as a broker between the developers and the residents throughout the process.
• Educational Buildings Administration: In view of the serious shortage in schoolrooms in Jerusalem, the Jerusalem Municipality has decided to establish an administration at Moriah, which will manage the planning and construction of educational buildings in the city. The Administration will be authorized to accelerate construction rate and remove the obstacles in the existing processes, working in cooperation with the relevant departments in the municipality, which will continue to determine policies and supervise.
• Exploitation of solar energy: Moriah has developed the establishment of solar facilities on school rooftops throughout the city. 130 facilities were constructed on public buildings in order to generate renewable and clean energy. In 2015 the project will be expanded to exploit more rooftops and will include solar panels which will be installed on Teddy Stadium’s top, the largest soccer stadium in Israel.
Projects recently completed by Moriah
• Jerusalem Hapayis Arena: Establishment of the new sports and event hall of Jerusalem at Malha neighborhood, extending over 35,000 sq.m. with a 11,600 seat capacity. Construction was completed at the second half of 2014.
• Road 21: Opening of a two-lane traffic road, with two routes per direction, two new entrances to Ramat Shlomo and connections to Shuafat. The project is part of the construction of Road 21 South, extending from Road 9 to Road 20 and its cost amounts to NIS 53 million.
• Teddy Stadium: The building of the south stand was completed, including 10,5000 seats, increasing the stadium’s capacity to 31,000 seats. In the summer of 2013, the stadium hosted the Maccabiah Opening Ceremony and the Euro 2013 U21 Games held in Israel.
• Skatepark: The facility, extending over 618 acres, was planned, designed and carefully executed by Moriah, with the assistance of a professional team with the help of foreign experts. This is a world-class innovative compound, with the ability to host national and international competitions and capacity for dozens of skaters.